Saturday, August 12, 2006

Don't Waste your Life...

I'm reading a book called 'Don't Waste your Life' by John Piper and found an inspiring quote in it. He talks about a man named Jonathon Edwards who was a pastor and theologian in New England......way back when. Anyway, John Piper goes on to say how Edwards wrote resolutions to abide by in his life as a Christian.
Here are some:

"#5 Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can
#6 Resolved to live with all my might, while I do live
#17 Resolved that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
#22 Resolved, to endeavour to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world (heaven), as I possibly can, with all the power, might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of."
It goes on to say " this last resolution (#22) may strike us as blatantly self-centered, even dangerous, if we do not understand the deep connection in Edwards's mind between the glory of God and the happiness of Christians. The violence he had in mind was what Jesus meant when he said in essence, "Better to gourge out your own eye to kill lust and go to heaven, than to make peace with sin and go to hell" (Matthew 5:29). And with regard to seeking his own happiness, keep in mind that Edwards was absolutely convinced that being happy in God was the way we glorify him. This was the reason we were created - to glorify God. Delighting in God is NOT a mere preference or option in life; it is our joyful duty and should be THE SINGLE PASSION OF OUR LIVES."

I like that part - 'the single passion of our lives'.

This is it folks.....One life.....One Passion. Don't waste your life.

No comments: