Friday, September 08, 2006

Lessons in daily living...

On the farm we have cows, cats, and pigeons, maybe some mice and and occasional rat, but today my story is about a cat, or barn kitty as we call them.

She was a grey striped momma cat that had raised quite a few kittens here, and was very good at her position of Mom/scavenger/entertainer and people lover. She was quick to bounce up and give your ankles a rub and twist her wiry little tail around your legs. (I feel like I'm writing a eulogy....well I guess I am)

Well you know whats coming...she had been sick for a while and today she was unable to move. She could move her eyes and make sad little crys but her body was out of her control. We didn't know what was wrong with her, but her breathing was becoming laboured and it was apparent that she was not going to live much longer. She was in her end stages.

I cannot bear to see an animal (or person) in pain, particularly when there was nothing that could be done to save her little life. I was feeding her water through her open mouth by dripping drops of water onto her tongue. She was just making little crys, like.. 'thank.. you.. for.. caring....' I knew what had to be done but surely couldn't do it. Dwight reluctantly agreed and so I carried her little body away to let her go. Poor baby.

I could only think of the bible passage:
Luke 12:22 'Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
32"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'


I thought of how God cared about this little cat like I did and that he knew everything about her, he had provided her with a pleasant life and how he knew I would have compassion and mercy, and help her to be at peace, not hurting anymore. I thought if God cares for the birds and this little cat the way he says does, then just imagine how much he cares for me, and us.

I can't begin to tell you how much I want to please our God, He loves us so very much and desires for us to love him, with all of our being and everything we have. I will love him and serve him and I am so excited to see what he has in store for me.

No comments: